Accidental Battery Ingestion

It is crucial to remove any accidental battery ingested in gastro-intestinal tract as soon as possible as degradation of battery may lead to caustic injury. The risk is highest if it is stuck in esophagus. As a result esophageal button battery is the most critical indication of emergent endoscopy in children. The injury to mucosa is due to the release of hydroxide radicals resulting in a caustic injury from high pH instead of electrical thermal injury.

The above case (radiograph above), a 2.5 year old boy had presented with h/o ingestion of disk/button battery from a TV remote, few minutes back. It was retrieved Endoscopically using a Roth net child was discharged to home within 3 hours. There was no surrounding mucosal injury as it was removed timely.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.