History of last tetanus toxoid booster or DPT vaccine should be asked for and wound assessment should be done to ascertain if its a minor or major and if its a clean or contaminated wound.
Because of the presence of the cow and horse dung on most Indian roads, such injuries are considered tetanus prone even if minor.
A Tetanus Toxoid (TT) booster is required in following situations–
- Any type of injury where last dose of TT or DPT was administered more than 10 years ago
- Large/Major or contaminated injuries where last TT or DPT dose was administered more than 5yrs back
- In any injury where history of last TT or DPT cannot be obtained with certainty or unimmunized or not completed the primary 3 doses of DPT in first year of life.
A Tetanus Toxoid (TT) booster is NOT required if –
- Any type of injury where last dose of TT or DPT was administered in last 5 years
- Minor or clean injuries where last TT or DPT dose was administered in last 10 yrs.
Note: Excess or too frequent doses of TT blunt the effect of vaccine, in addition to accentuating the side effects of the vaccine with every dose.